The all-new, completely redesigned 2009 Acura TL employs dramatic new styling along with a luxurious interior that includes more driver relevant technology than ever. Featuring the most powerful Acura engine ever, the 2009 TL will be available in two distinctive versions including the first ever application of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive(SH-AWD) on TL.
Mosquitoes must be a real problem in South Korea because SK Telecom has launched a phone service that claims to repel them, according to the BBC (via Dvice). This $3 per download sound file is being offered to SK Telecom subscribers in order to combat blood-sucking mosquitoes within three feet.
The high-pitched sound is similar to the buzz of a male mosquito, which female mosquitoes tend to avoid during their egg-laying period. The BBC report says the sound uses the handset’s battery power faster, but it’s expected to be very popular during Korea’s hot and humid summers.
The Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte is already a luxurious handset designed for style-conscious consumers, but Swiss designer and jeweler Knalihs Athem is taking luxury to whole other level by making the Sapphire Arte a one-of-a-kind limited edition handset. By adding 1,000 brilliant cut diamonds all around the handset’s face, which already contains a genuine sapphire gem stone as a navigation key, Athem is turning an ordinary handset into an expensive piece of art.
The phone itself isn’t too shabby either, and includes a 2.0 QVGA OLED display, a 3.2 megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom, 1GB of built-in memory, and anti-fingerprint coating. This sophisticated handset has a few neat features too like an ambient light sensor that adjusts the screen brightness according to its surrounding, and a “turn-to-mute” feature that quiets the ringer simply by turning the phone face down.
Media-Convert is a website that provides document and media file conversions online. Upload your file (it will accept every format you can think of), select your output format, wait for the conversion to take place, then download your converted file.
The sheer range of supported formats is just astounding. Want to convert an MP3 into a Soundblaster file (.VOC) or an Amiga sound file (.MAUD)? No problem. How about PDF to text or Rich Text Format (.RTS). You will most surely find the output format that you want supported by media-convert. For evaluation purposes I tried a random batch of conversions, including PDF to RTF, PDF to TXT, PDF to Flash (.SWF), JPG to HTML, AVI to Ipod MP4, MP3 to FLAC. What I found out is that (a) the conversions mostly were quite reliable (although PDF to .SWF didn’t work), and (b) this service is NOT geared to do Optical Character Recognition (OCR); it does not give you the option to convert images to useable text. If you are looking for OCR I suggest you try Docmorph, a similar service to this one which does a very comptent job.
I can see a number of scenarios where you might want to use this service:
- If you are working remotely (say, on vacation in a cybercafe in Amsterdam) and you need to convert a document or media file urgently.
- If the input or output formats are unusual, and you do not typically work with them within your applications and do not plan to start.
- If you only have a limited number of files to convert, such that uploading these will be a manageable undertaking.
- You can also convert an audio file to a ringtone, and if you have a WAPor GPRS enabled cellphone, you can download these straight to your phone.
- Another nice feature: if the document you are looking for is available online, just point media-convert to the URL; no need to download the file and reupload
However, you wouldn’t want to use this service in any of the following scenarios:
- If your file is over 50megs — that’s the maximum upload that Media-Convert will allow.
- If you’re interested in OCR (converting images to useable text). Use Docmorph instead.
- If you have a lot of files to convert… uploading and downloading will just not be practical
All in all an interesting service that might well be very useful.
If you find it useful please comment. Or share your ideas here.
Life’s way too fun to sit still. So don’t.
Grab hold of the gigabeat Portable Media and MP3 Player and get all the entertainment you want while on the go. Click a button and enjoy music as you work out, or hang out on the weekend. Listen to your favorite radio stations. Show fabulous family photos to your curious co-workers down the hall, or relive yesterday’s excitement by watching videos of the big summer bash.
The sights and sounds of your life. With the gigabeat T- or U-Series, it’s all right there in the palm of your hand.